I am loving making everything caprese lately! The mix of mozzarella, basil and tomatoes is absolutely delicious! I’ve also been really into balsamic vinegar lately too so adding it to this recipe was just an explosion of flavor that made this a recipe that didn’t last long. I highly recommend this for a big Sunday dinner! I included instructions to make a balsamic glaze yourself but if you want to skip that step, you can get some pre-made glaze here.
1 box lasagna noodles
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons oregano
3 tablespoons basil, divided
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2.5 cups milk
4 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
4 oz frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup grated Parmesan
15 oz ricotta
1.5 cups grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Salt a large pot of water and cook the lasagna noodles to package directions. Drain and set aside.
2) In a large skillet on medium high heat, heat the olive oil. Season the chicken with the oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Add to skillet and cook till no longer pink, about 8-10 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and stir till combined. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
3) Wipe out the skillet and set to medium heat. Add butter and melt. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute till fragrant. Add flour and whisk till combined. Slowly pour in milk and simmer till thick and creamy. Add 1 cup of mozzarella and the Parmesan. Whisk till well combined.
4) In a separate bowl, mix the egg, spinach and ricotta. Season with salt and pepper.
5) In a large baking dish, spread a small amount of the cheese sauce on the bottom then layer with some lasagna noodles. Spread some ricotta mix, add some tomatoes, some chicken, another layer of sauce and some mozzarella. Top with another layer of noodles and repeat till you have at least 3 layers. Top with the remaining mozzarella.
6) Bake for 40 minutes till bubbly and the top is golden brown.
7) While lasagna is baking, make the glaze. Bring the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Simmer till reduced by half and the glaze sticks to the back of a spoon. Drizzle over the lasagna after it’s out of the oven and sitting for a few minutes and serve!