Stuffed bread is such a great meal idea because it’s so versatile and you can really put whatever your heart desires! This version is a spin off of a Philly cheesesteak but slightly different. I used a red pepper for a sweeter flavor and used mozzarella for a smoother flavor. This was a delicious mix of hearty and crunchy!
1 lb sirloin steak
Salt and pepper
4 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
3/4 cup mozzarella, shredded
3/4 cup cheddar, shredded
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 white onion, sliced thin
1 loaf french bread
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season steak with salt and pepper.
2) In a cast iron skillet or other oven proof skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and olive oil until hot. Add steak and sear for about 4 minutes on both sides. Place skillet in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Set steak aside to rest.
3) While steak is cooking, in another skillet, heat remaining butter and add the onion. Caramelize on medium-low until golden. Add red pepper and cook until onion browns up a little more.
4) Slice steak into cubes, add to large bowl with onion and peppers. Add mayo and cheeses and mix well.
5) Slice french bread in half and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Scoop out a little of the middle to make room and fill with the mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let rest for a few minutes, then serve.