This is some delicious comfort food! It’s perfect for a cold fall day and hits the spot perfectly! This is a classic that is a favorite of any meat and potatoes fan. I went a little off script and added some cheddar on top for an extra layer of flavor. This Shepards Pie recipe is a perfect dish on a cold day!
3 pounds Russet potatoes
1/2 cup whole milk
4 tablespoons salted butter
1 teaspoon olive oil
1.5 pounds ground beef
1/2 white onion diced
1 16 oz bag of frozen peas and carrots
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 packet brown gravy (see here)
1 cup cold water
1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and garlic powder each.
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
1) Peel the potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes. Place into pot with salted water and boil for about 12 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
2) While the potatoes are cooking, add the olive oil to a large saucepan and put on medium high heat. Put in the white onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add the frozen peas and carrots. Add the beef, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cook until beef is browned. Add Worcestershire sauce, brown gravy packet and cold water and mix well. Let simmer till thickened.
3) Drain potatoes and place back into pot. Add milk and butter and mash well .
4) Preheat broiler and fill a casserole dish with the meat mixture. Layer the mashed potatoes on top.
5) Top with cheese. Put under broiler until potatoes start to brown, about 5 minutes.
Serve immediately and enjoy!