I have been making these for awhile, they are actually one of the first things I learned how to cook, and they are so delicious and saucy! A perfect weekend dinner.
4 sausage links (either sweet, hot or a mix of both), pierce with a fork a few times
2 green peppers and one red pepper, cut into strips
1/4 white onion, cut into strips
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 small can of tomato paste
1 large can on tomato sauce
1 tablespoon each salt and pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon each oregano and basil
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
4 slices of cheese (optional)
4 grinder rolls
1) Add 2 tablespoons of oil to pan and cook sausage on medium high heat until browned on all sides. Remove from pan and put on plate. Slice the sausage into coins. Put aside until later.
2) Add remaining oil to pan and add onion and peppers. Cook for two minutes until softened.
3) Add tomato sauce and paste.
4) Add oregano and basil. Reduce heat to simmer and mix well.
5) Return the sausage links to the pan and mix together.
6) Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7) Once done, place cheese in opened grinder rolls and fill.
This is a burst of flavor that mingles very well with the cheese and bread. Full stomachs and happy meals all around!