Homemade egg rolls have become my new favorite thing ever! We have made these a few times now and they come out awesome every time. We brought these to a recent Friendsgiving party and they were gone before some people knew they were there! We had nothing but compliments. Bring these to your next party along with some Taco Cupcakes to be the superstar.
1 package egg roll wrappers
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 white onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
3/4 lb roast beef, diced
1.5 cups shredded jack cheddar
1/2 cup water
Note: My husband recently made a huge batch of these for a work party and used a chilled bar of Cabot Pepper Jack cheese. He used a chunk of that which melted nicely in the deep fryer. That is another option to try if you can’t find or don’t want to use shredded cheese.
1) Add olive oil to large skillet over medium high heat and add onions once hot. Cook for about 3 minutes until soft then add pepper. Cook for another minute and add roast beef. Cook until beef has browned and mixed well with the vegetables. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes before using.
2) On a flat rolling surface, lay out an egg roll wrapper with one corner facing you. Scoop a little filling toward the closest corner to you and top with a little cheese. Take that same corner and fold it over the filling. Then fold over both sides and continue to roll. When you are almost done rolling, take a fingertip of water and coat the last corner with water. Then finish rolling and press the last corner to seal.
3) Repeat until you have all the wrappers filled.
4) Add oil to fryer and set to 350 degrees.
5) Fry wrappers in oil until crispy and golden brown.
Tip: My husband came up with a great idea that makes our egg rolls perfect every time. We recently upgraded our deep fryer so we still had the basket of the old one. By placing the old basket on top of the egg rolls in the new basket, it kept the rolls from floating and cooking unevenly.