This is one of my husbands favorite recipes. I love stuffed peppers and my husband had just come home from a trip to Philly where the first thing he did was have a cheesesteak. This is a healthier version of the famous cheesesteaks. If you like the recipe but hate the cheese, you can use a different one. As long as you keep it similar, you will be OK.
3 Green Peppers
1/2 white onion
3/4-1 lb of Roast Beef (depending on size of peppers). If you have large peppers, use a lb.
6 slices American cheese
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
2 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1) Preheat oven to Broil.
2) Slice the onion-you can do circles, which looks better. But if you end up cutting the wrong side like I did, it still works out. Slice Green Peppers in half and get rid of the seeds, place on foil lined baking sheet. Slice roast beef into long, thin slices and fold cheese slices in half, one cheese slice for every pepper.
3) Put the olive oil and butter in the pan.
4) Put onions in pan to carmelize. For anyone new to carmelizing, go low and slow. Put the burner on almost medium heat and once the butter has melted, put the onions in. Add the salt and pepper and slowly cook. The onions with start to brown and eventually soften.
5) Add the Garlic.
6) Add the Roast Beef to the pan While the meat is cooking put the first layer of cheese into the peppers. Cook meat for a few minutes till browned.
7) Stuff meat into peppers and top with cheese.
8) Put in oven under the broiler for 4-5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
This version keeps the pepper fully crisp but the inside is melted and delicious!