I love a good brisket. This Oven Baked Brisket comes out fantastic since it slow cooks to perfection in the oven. The vegetables cook right in the pot with it so you’ll have all of dinner covered while the oven handles a lot of the work. The sauce adds an extra delicious touch at the end that you will love. I sometimes make brisket in the crockpot (see here) but the oven works great and makes slow cooking a breeze!
4 lbs brisket
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large white onion, thinly sliced
5 garlic cloves, chopped
2 bay leaves
16 oz tomato sauce
6 oz tomato paste
3 cups beef stock
2 tablespoons vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon paprika
3 large carrots, peeled and chopped into 2 inch pieces
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Season the brisket well with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven on medium high heat.
2) Add the brisket and sear on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
3) Add onions, garlic and bay leaves and cook for about 10 minutes until onions soften.
4) In a large bowl, whisk tomato sauce, tomato paste, beef stock, vinegar, brown sugar, onion powder and paprika together. Place the brisket on top of the onions and pour the sauce mixture on top. Bring to a boil, cover and place in the oven.
5) Cook for 2 hours then remove from oven. Flip the meat over carefully and add the carrots. Cover and place back in the oven for another 1.5 hours.
6) Remove from Dutch oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Remove the bay leaves from the sauce, then remove onions and carrots to serve with the meat. Spoon pan juice over meat before serving.