This is the winter that will never end, well it seems like it in the northeast anyway. What I love about this soup is that it’s full of flavor and healthy ingredients. We have chicken, carrots, celery and smells amazing! The rice also thickens it up really nice to full your belly and keep you warm. This soup is perfect for any time of year if you are looking for something easy and delicious. This is also great if you have leftover rotisserie chicken that you need to use up.
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 white onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
24 oz chicken stock
2.5 cups water
2 cups milk, divided
Salt and pepper
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons thyme
2 chicken breasts, diced or shredded
1/2 cup flour
1.25 cups white rice
1) Add oil to a Dutch oven and heat to medium heat. Add carrots, celery and onion. Simmer for 10 minutes until onions are translucent.
2) Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add chicken stock, water and 1 cup milk and mix.
3) Add salt, pepper, oregano, and chicken. Mix till well combined. Simmer for 15 minutes.
4) Whisk flour into remaining cup of milk. Pour into soup and stir till well combined.
5) Add rice and simmer for 15-20 minutes until tender. Serve immediately.