Hooray! It’s my birthday! While I’m still accepting the fact that I’m now in my ’30s, I can definitely appreciate how much my cooking skills have improved since I first lived on my own at 22. It’s sad, I was all about quick and easy that lifestyle ate away at my energy and my wallet. My poor husband can attest to many failed kitchen experiments but time and the willingness to learn won and now we all eat much better. Birthdays always make me reflective of where I was and who I’m becoming and it’s always nice to look back at the positive ways you’ve improved over the years.
Now this recipe……well it’s fantastic! The parmesan breading makes a fantastic crust and helps the chicken stay moist and flavorful. The melted mozzarella on top is just a mouth watering bonus!
3 boneless chicken breasts
1 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 slices Mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon water
3/4 cup canola oil
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In one small bowl, beat the egg with the water. In another shallow plate, mix the grated parmesan, garlic powder and pepper.
3) Heat oil on high heat. While heating, dip the chicken into the egg mixture and then the dry mixture.
4) Place chicken into oil and fry on both sides until golden brown, about 5 minutes each side.
5) Remove from pan and place onto a wire rack on a foil covered baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes until juice runs clear.
6) Turn oven to broil. Top chicken with the mozzarella slices folded in half and layered. Broil till melted.