Now I know that February isn’t really the time to be discussing Thanksgiving but…..homemade stuffing is pretty awesome and if you are somebody who likes planning ahead, then this recipe for Apple Stuffing with Bacon and Caramelized Onions is perfect to try now and have picture perfect ready by November! This dish is the perfect mix of sweet and savory.
1 lb bacon
2 large Vidalia onions, sliced thin
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
2 baking apples, peeled, cored and diced into 1/2 inch pieces
2 tablespoons dried sage
12 cups dried Italian bread, cubed (1 large loaf)
1.5 cups chicken broth
3 eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons butter
- If bread isn’t already dried, place cubes onto baking sheet and cook in 250 degree oven for 30 minutes. Cook bacon till crisp and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil to medium heat and add onions. Season with salt and pepper and cook till onions are deep golden brown, at least 20-30 minutes. Add apples and cook an additional 6 minutes till softened. Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Crumble up bacon and add to onion mix along with sage and more salt and pepper. Mix and add in bread cubes. In a separate bowl, whisk 1 cup of stock and eggs. Add to stuffing and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a casserole dish and add stuffing. Drizzle remaining half cup of stock over the top and dot with butter.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes till crisp.